Monday, June 30, 2008

Retro Blog: Love Is In The Air

First published February 14, 2007



How do I know that?

Because Howard Stern (the Sirius radio shock-jock, not Anna Nicole's lawyer man) has just gotten engaged. He popped the question to longtime girlfriend and model, Beth Ostrosky.

In other news, apparently Jim Carrey and Jenny McCarthy are also planning a romantic day.


Don't get me wrong, I'm not against St. Valentine or cupid or even heart-shaped cookies. In fact, I really like cookies. However, I have noticed this week that lots of us feel sort of uncomfortable with February 14th. If you're in a relationship, there's pressure. Yesterday I watched as some of the guys I work with were really sweating it out. In fact, I even spoke with a police officer about feeling 'under the gun' to perform. We went from discussing a dump truck accident to how he could use slickdeals.net to find a reasonably priced flower arrangement. Men, I don't envy you at all.

What's up with those bogus Cosmo polls from 'real men' stating that 85% of males 'would love to receive flowers.' Are you serious? I find that idea somewhat farfetched.

American society has even gone so far to have special Valentine's Day episodes of television shows. How cute. I did go so far as to enjoy Brothers & Sisters this past Sunday.
In college, we were always very aware of this holiday. It's when the Student Government Association would host a chick-flick in the auditorium, you know, like Maid in Manhattan or Sweet Home Alabama and only girls would show up. Well, okay, along with one or two couples who hadn't lucked out in the restaurant reservation department. Avoiding the dorm lobbies was also a huge priority. Since we lived in single sex buildings, my dorm's lobby turned into a PG-13 (scandalous!) love scene.
Personally, I'm pretty low-key in the romance department. I like simple. I'd rather do laundry with a guy than go out for dinner and dancing. It's a little too much. Especially when I'm just getting to know someone. My favorite love stories when it comes to movies are the ones where two people are forced to spend time with each other though unusual circumstances. IE: There Goes The Neighborhood, Bringing Up Baby, The Breakfast Club, Love Actually (Colin Firth and the Portuguese housekeeper). I'm trying to think of more, but they're slipping my mind at the moment. Although I have to admit, I'm a huge sucker for John Cusack in Say Anything. That boom box scene gets me every time. Heck, that guy from Napoleon Dynamite (John Heder) could show up outside my window doing that and I'd probably go for it. But I'd prefer Anderson Cooper, even though I'm probably not his type.
One day, I hope to have that unconditional, human love for someone. Where we accept and embrace each other's flaws and shortfalls. When that happens, I get the feeling that I'll be able to do things for them that I'm afraid to do now, because it leaves me vulnerable. Making sacrifices of myself, cooking for them, supporting their dreams, merging finances, having children together. Whether we realize it or not, those are massive commitments that require a tremendous amount of trust in someone. In order to do that, one can't be so independent. That's when they become a partner, a team.
It's difficult to be hopeful when I look around and see so much brokenness. Many men and women have the downfall of not being able to give up their solo ways and realize that love is altruistic and not self serving. It's not encouraging to think, "If so many others fail, what makes me so sure I can succeed?"
One reasoning that convinces me that there is a God is knowing that two people can find each other. The belief and faith that there is someone out there in the world that will know everything about me and love me for it. That thought is just so wild that I'm positive that nothing in life is accidental. In fact, every step of the way truly has that divine purpose.
I don't always live up to this verse below, but I'm working on it...
“A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.”
-John 13:34-35

No comments: