Tuesday, February 12, 2008

What Dreams May Come

Last night I hit the pillow at 10 o'clock at night. About three hours earlier than usual. Nothing has ever felt better. I was literally in dream land until 7:30 this morning.

Two nights ago, my sleep was not that restful and I woke up every few hours. The night before that, I slept for about 12 hours off and on. I know, I know. That's quite inconsistent.

One thing that's been happening is a steady stream of vivid, clear, dreams. As a child, I dreamed very often. For awhile, I kept a journal of my dreams. Doing this actually helps tremendously in recalling details. It also causes one to remember more dreams. On average, I read that you can have several dreams per sleep session. Sometimes I'd have five to seven dreams per night. But writing every day in that journal just got more difficult as I grew older and eventually it stopped altogether.

I'm also convinced that a few of the dreams I've had (they were more like flashes of a situation) actually ended up happening. Sort of like de ja vu. For instance, I'd have a dream where I'd be standing by the water fountain at school with certain people around and months later, I'd find myself in the exact same scenario.

Over the past year I've had the recurring dream in which I can fly. Yes, that's very Nathan Petrelli/West from Heroes. It's an incredible feeling I have in these dreams. So freeing, light, and strong. All it takes is a little running start and I can shoot up over buildings into the clouds, and be anywhere in the world in just a few minutes. Thinking about how much I could save on travel costs is also nice to think about! This is hands down the best dream I've ever had. So much that I want it to be real.

Last night I had two dreams that I can remember. In the first, I get a puppy. It's one of the tiniest dogs in existence... something like a miniature dachshund maybe? For some reason I'm a college or high school student and leave the dog in the women's restroom while I'm in class.

But then I ended up at an airport in Buffalo, NY where I'm from. I had a 9:26 am flight to Switzerland??? Since I'd forgotten to bring a digital camera, I was looking desperately in the airport stores for one but the selection was terrible. Across the street from the airport I could see a Target, but I couldn't justify going because one of the airport stores was a very pared down Target.

It was at this point that I woke up.

No comments: